Tips from the United Nations site published on World Environment Day, for how each of us can reduce our carbon footprint and maybe contain the damage that has been done, and that is being done continuously to the environment. Admittedly, these are small steps we can do as individuals, and there is much more that needs to be done to contain the damage, but hey, this is a beginning?
Warning – following these need a good bit of dedication.
- Don’t go anywhere without your cloth bag so you can just say no to plastic whenever you shop.
< From me: Before you gloss over this, consider the fact that most the 60Billion tonnes of plastic that we produce every year remain littering the planet, mostly the oceans and seas, where sea creatures and birds eat them mistaking them for food. Very soon, the oceans and seas will start looking like the rivers of our major metros. We’ve all seen them, those nalas, the Yamuna in Delhi, the Musi in Hyderabad, the Hooghly>
- Radical as it may seem, in today’s “the easier the better” society, the easiest way to reduce your carbon footprint is by avoiding driving altogether. Power down and Instead try biking, walking, carpooling, public transport or an occasional telecommute.
- If you have no other choice than to drive to work, look for the most fuel- efficient car model for your next purchase and keep your tyres inflated to the correct pressure.
Hmm.. I’d read about this a while back. Keeping the tyre pressures proper helps save a huge amount of fuel.
- If you’re one of the lucky few blessed with clear stretches of road on your way to work, use cruise control, as it saves fuel and also helps you maintain a constant speed.
- If you’re among the majority of drivers who spend their mornings stuck in traffic, consider turning your engine off if you will be idling for long periods of time. And plant a tree.
Shall do, shall do, I want to save fuel and some moolah in the bargain!
- For those who suffer from road rage, remember that aggressive driving lowers your mileage, so if you want to save on fuel and save the planet while you’re at it, accelerate gradually– something to keep that in mind the next time that bad driver cuts you off! Just count to 10 and say the planet needs me!
There’s more on the site, go have a look and find out what what changes you can make to your lifestyle.
The good news is most of these also keep us fit and health – biking to work, carrying a cloth bag full of groceries 🙂