Turning 33 is not so bad when you have lots of things to be happy about in life. Not to court the evil eye, but a little bit of counting one’s blessings is a good thing to do on a Bday, no?
Here’s my list, not in any particular order:
- Appapappa, exasperating man who dresses like a geek at times and like a cool-dude at times, but loves me most of the times( dare I say maybe all the time)!
- N, who made her first “Happy Bday Ma” card for me, and who is right now emptying all my lotions and powders on the dressing table.
- Little sis, who’s been driving me up the wall ever since I tried to teach her some Geometry, or Algebra, or I forget what else. Oh yes, something about how to get guys, but thats strictly history 🙂
- Gypsyfeet, the travel company we’ve started, and about which I dreamt last night that we had made it real big!
- “Under the Bogori Tree“, a set of stories from my childhood memories of Nagaon, – its manuscript in the publisher’s hands while I wait with fingers crossed.
- The cousin Gitu, who shrieks “Majoni Ba” louder than anybody else when we meet!
- Aks and S, best friends, who unfortunately live far away – in New York. and who i miss whenever there are really good times.
- Trees, birds, mountains, clean fresh crisp air, train rides, hikes, walks, flowers
- Hot spicy samosas, buffet dinners, stinky cheese, good white wines, Biryani, Ma’s cooking….
and parties, especially, surprise parties, thrown by AppaPappa on my Bday!
As a special Bday gift, N tells me a story today:
“Ma, ma, I tell a story.
Once upon a time, there was a… bed.
Bed’s name was Kuklakugoo..
Then, what happened.. ”
And so on, with the table, chair, books, lights, etc etc in the room all getting strange Afrikan sounding names.
And before I forget, here’s the list of books I got as Bday gifts:
2 Gerald Durrells – Rosy is my Relative, and Bafut Beagles
Ruskin Bond – Mini Bus, collection of short storiesin the Himalayas
Ray Bradbury – Zen in the Art of Writing
Kunal Basu – the miniaturist
Pallavi Aiyar – Smoke and Mirrors, an experience of China
These will keep me busy for a while now.